Construction is moving ahead on a new long-term care facility for residents of Meadow Lake and area.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) has awarded the tender for the new $36.6 million, 72-bed facility to Binder Construction of Edmonton. It will be significantly larger than the current 55-bed Northland Pioneers Lodge. The project includes $29.3 million from the province and $7.3 million from the local community.
“People all over northwest Saskatchewan will benefit from having this new long-term care home in Meadow Lake. It will offer more space, privacy, and a safer, modern environment for residents and staff,” said local MLA Jeremy Harrison, on behalf of Rural and Remote Health Minister Warren Kaeding. “This project will complete our government’s commitment to build 13 new long-term care facilities across the province.”
Construction began in April with completion expected by fall 2021. The new and larger facility will improve access and better meet the needs of Meadow Lake and area residents who require a high level of continuing care.
“The SHA is excited that construction of this much-needed replacement for Northland Pioneers Lodge has begun. We know that residents of the current long-term care home, their families and the facility’s staff are eagerly anticipating this long-awaited project,” SHA Executive Director of Infrastructure Management Derek Miller said.
The Government of Saskatchewan will fund 80 per cent of the capital cost of construction, with the remaining 20 per cent funded locally. Agreements are in place with the City of Meadow Lake and the Rural Municipality of Meadow Lake to cover the local share. The Northwest Community Lodge Association is fundraising for furnishings and equipment, which are not included in the capital construction cost.
The new facility will be built on 10 acres of land donated to the former Prairie North Health Region by Jake and Eve Danilkewich. The site is located in the RM of Meadow Lake across from the industrial area along Highway 4 north.
The project is led by the SHA and Ministry of Health, in collaboration with the City and RM of Meadow Lake, Flying Dust First Nation, Meadow Lake Tribal Council and other community partners.