Further Easing of Family Presence/Visitor Restrictions in Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) Hospitals in Regina
On August 30, Regina hospitals, including Regina General Hospital and Pasqua Hospital, will move to the Recovery Phase for Family Presence/Visitor Restrictions. The Recovery Phase is intended to be a safe progression towards pre-pandemic Open Family Presence, which welcomed essential family/support persons at any time to support patient care. The SHA will return to Open Family Presence as soon as it is safe to do so. Visiting hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. will remain in place during the recovery phase.
In the Recovery Phase:
- There will be no limits on the number of essential family/support persons or visitors that can be designated for each patient. Patients and families will still be asked to consider limiting the number of individuals who are designated, recognizing that every visit to an acute care facility brings with it the risk of exposure or transmission of COVID-19.
- Because children are not able to be vaccinated, there is an increased risk in maternal and children’s units. Please consider limiting the number of designates to no more than four in these areas.
- Two essential family/support persons can be present at a time indoors.
- Up to four essential family/support persons can be present at the same time in these areas: intensive care; end-of-life or palliative care.
- Timing of in-person visits may be subject to scheduling limitations of the unit. Collaborate with the care team to arrange visits in advance whenever possible.
- There will be no limit on the amount of family/support persons or visitors that can be present at a time outdoors.
- Due to Emergency Department capacity and demands, they will remain at Level 1 Family Presence (one support person is able to accompany the patient into the Emergency Department).
Because transmission of COVID-19 and its variants, like the Delta variant, will continue to pose a risk to staff, physicians, patients, family and visitors in SHA facilities, each local area will still be closely monitoring transmission. Family presence restrictions will continue to be reviewed weekly and further levels of restriction may need to be reinstated, depending on local transmission rates and hospital capacity.
Everyone coming in to SHA hospitals will continue to be required to:
- Wear a medical grade face mask at all times while in the facility. Failure to wear a mask may result in being denied access to the facility.
- Answer the COVID-19 screening questions honestly and to the best of your ability.
- Be kind and respectful to everyone. Abusive language and actions will not be tolerated and may result in removal from the facility.
People coming in to SHA hospitals are also strongly encouraged to be vaccinated. In order to maintain safety for everyone, the above protocols will remain in place for the time being and will be regularly reviewed. It is only by working together that we can keep SHA facilities safe.
For more information on COVID-19, including vaccinations, please visit saskatchewan.ca/COVID19.