Licensed Practical Nurse Career Profile
What is a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)?
A Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) cares for patients at all stages of life with a focus on patients with stable or predictable health outcomes. LPNs are also known as Registered Practical Nurses in other parts of Canada. Health-care services provided by LPNs include providing treatments, medications, performing procedures and monitoring patient health. LPNs work in a variety of settings including long-term care, home care, assisted living, areas in acute care, health clinics and even operating rooms.
What is it like working as a Licensed Practical Nurse at the Saskatchewan Health Authority?
LPNs who work at the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) primarily work in long-term care or acute care with a team made of nurses, physicians and other health-care workers. LPNs have specialized training opportunities in order to work in an operating room as a scrub nurse. LPNs work in shifts that usually include evenings and weekends, as access to care for patients may be required 24/7.
Learn more from our staff!
What can I earn as a Licensed Practical Nurse?
- $36.16 - $38.72
In addition to the pay band, Enhanced Dental and Health benefits and vacation packages are also included.
LPNs working with the SHA are unionized employees and may be a member of one of the following unions based on work location throughout the province:
- Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- Saskatchewan Government and General Employees Union (SGEU)
How do I become a Licensed Practical Nurse?
To work as a LPN, you will require a Practical Nursing diploma. There are many options to train as an LPN across the province
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic - Practical Nursing Program
- Saskatchewan Indian Institute of Technology - Indigenous Practical Nursing
- Great Plains College – Practical Nursing Program
- Carlton Trail College – Practical Nursing Program
- Cumberland College – Practical Nursing Program
- Southeast College – Practical Nursing Program
- North West College - Practical Nursing Program