Patient, Resident and Family Engagement
Engagement with patients, residents, and families is foundational to people-centred care. People-centred care places equal value on health care expertise and lived-experience, creating a balanced partnership between people seeking care and people providing care. It operates with trust and respect, is culturally responsive, and trauma-informed. Engagement with patients, residents, and families is important as it:
- Brings unique knowledge and experience to the system. The lived experience of our patients, residents, and families offers insight into our work that we otherwise would not have;
- Helps to build trust between the health care system and patients, residents, and families, where they feel respected and heard;
- Supports patients, residents, and families to take an active role in their care;
- Sees the patient as more than their illness or disease;
- Honours different views; and
- Encourages us to talk about good and bad experiences to improve care.
For additional information or to contact Patient and Family Centred Care, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.