The Kidney Health Clinic
Patients can only be referred to a Kidney Health Clinic by their nephrologist (kidney specialist). The goal of this clinic is to prevent end stage kidney disease, or to help the patient prepare for kidney replacement therapy.
The patient works with the healthcare team to live as healthy as possible with kidney disease. The team consists of nephrologists, nurses, social workers, dietitians, pharmacists, and diabetes educators.
Kidney Health Clinic services
- Treatment aimed at slowing progression of chronic kidney disease
- Patient and caregiver education about kidney disease and its management
- Monitoring of kidney function
- Nutrition and medication counseling
- Diabetes education and counseling
- Psychological support
- Vaccines to prevent infections like Hepatitis B, pneumonia, and influenza
- Discussion of possible treatments if the kidneys fail