Long COVID Self-Management - Pursed Lip Breathing
Pursed lip breathing is a great method to help slow down your breathing and allow more air into your lungs. With regular practice, this method will make your lungs work better. It involves breathing in through your nose and slowly out through pursed lips. This will help empty your lungs.
How to Perform the Pursed Pip Breathing Method
- Sit in a comfortable, supported position with your feet flat on the floor.
- Breathe in through your nose (if you are able) and then out gently and silently through pursed lips. [To purse your lips, put your lips together as though you are going to whistle.]
- Do not force the air out.
- Your abdomen should remain relaxed.
- Increase the length of your breathing in and out over time.