Long COVID Self-Management - Relaxed Breathing
Relaxed breathing is a method where a person brings up positive images in their mind during breathing. This method helps decrease shortness of breath and relax the body. It can be combined with diaphragmatic or pursed lip breathing. Doing these together helps lower breathing rate.
How to Perform Relaxed Breathing
- Sit or lie in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes if you like.
- Imagine you are at a relaxing or beautiful place.
- Relax your shoulder and neck muscles.
- If sitting, rest your hands on your lap or on a pillow with the palms facing up.
- Practice pursed lip breathing in this position.